Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Take on Gestational Diabetes

My Take on Gestational Diabetes


My wife and I were not so fortunate to have our first baby so when our second came along we were 10 times more focused on the pregnancy, well at least I was and my wife was twice as cautious as before.
During the course of the pregnancy she developed Gestational Diabetes (gestational diabetes mellitus, GDM). She was advised to take insulin by a local doctor who was very well regarded by the medical community to be one of the best if not the best in the region. I refused to acknowledge his recommendations and I went ahead and made my own research.
In a nutshell, I found out that the body's production of insulin and the body's need for glucose is at an imbalance.
I theorized that through close monitoring of sugar levels in the blood along with proper management of food intake and exercise, one could eliminate the need for insulin shots.
The plan was to first acquire a glucose meter or glucometer. It is a critical piece of equipment to enable one to manage one’s food intake and exercise program.
There is a general framework for the program but since it changes by the moment one needs to adjust and take action immediately. It consisted of a sugar level check, then allocating an appropriate calorie meal and doing some activity to help the body burn the sugar gradually. The steps may be done 4-7 times a day depending on the situation. Simply put, we do not allow the body to process sugar at a single time preventing the body from those nasty sugar spikes after meals.
It does take a bit of getting used to and maybe it is best suited for those who do not have work or if you are a stay at home mom. Maybe this might not be appropriate for other situations but it worked for my wife. The essence of it though is the management of sugar levels. It may be tweaked to set it for the kind of lifestyle you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Amazon